Tuesday, April 26, 2011

2. Social Networking and Privacy

     I use facebook almost everyday. It has become a part of my routine when I log on to my computer-check aol and school email, review bank accounts, check facebook, etc. Facebook is the only true social networking website I use. I used to have a myspace-back when those were popular, maybe in 8th grade, so 2005? My phone is usually in my pocket throughout the day, and I spend a lot of time texting. For me, texting is faster, more convenient and more private than a phone call. If I am walking to class and want to have a personal conversation with one of my friends, I do not want to call them, everyone in earshot would be able to hear what I said. However, with texting, you read and reply, no speaking is involved.

     Texting also makes communication possible when a phone call would not be appropriate, i.e in the library. I do not spend a lot of time updating my status on facebook, but I do spend a little bit of time browsing facebook on my phone. I usually do this when I am bored and am not at my computer. I think that the cultural move towards social networking, constant access and the loss of privacy has its pros and cons. Some of the benefits include: easy access, fast communication and the ability to connect with people at your convenience. However, websites such as facebook encourage stalking, and can lead us down a slippery slope of what information should be private and what is public. My personal opinion regarding facebook is to not post anything you would not feel comfortable letting your parents, grandparents, future employers or anyone really seeing. On my facebook, any of my friends can see my profile pictures, what schools I have/currently attend and my listed activities and "likes" on facebook. I do not feel the need to share any other information with anyone with the ability to access my facebook, and I do feel safe with the amount of information I am providing. I do worry about the privacy of my texts and posts on facebook. In regards to texting, I am aware that phone companies keep records of your individual texts, I believe that some keep them for up to a year or longer. Many of my texts are rather private, but I do not really think twice when sending a text. I know that textual evidence from these texts have also been used in countless court cases, so maybe people should think twice when they send a text if they are engaging in any sort of illicit activities.
  
     I also wonder what happens to the information that you delete from your facebook. I always hear things like "nothing is ever deleted from the Internet" and I wonder how true this is. If it is, 50 years from now someone could access this very blog. I have googled myself before and found work and achievements of mine, dating back to the 7th grade. Overall, I think I am pretty cautious when using social networking or texting and I think with the constant battle of privacy of information in technology, I should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment