Technology definitely influences social interaction, both positively and negatively. New technologies can connect us with people in another city, across the country or on another continent. I think that technology has positively influenced social interaction because we can interact with people effortlessly- instead of picking up the phone to make a long distance call, you can use skype to virtually talk to and see a friend or family member. Many businesses use video chat programs to hold business conferences, making deals with those who are thousands of miles away. What once would have required a plane ride, can now be done virtually from the comfort of your home or office. But is this virtual social interaction always good? It certainly does not replace a face to face interaction, there is no substitute.
Video chat just allows us to see the person we are talking to, taking a phone conversation to a more personal level. Technology has certainly made it easier to interact with others, but it has also made us lazier. If I want to know how an old friend is doing, I will look at their facebook page instead of giving them a call or attempting to have a face to face interaction. When I have the ability just to check up on them, maybe look through their photos and recent status updates, my curiosity is satisfied.
The Internet can be a great way of meeting people who you would never have the opportunity to meet. There are countless examples of internet chat rooms, online dating, forums and other sites that serve to connect people who have similar interests. Through the internet, you have the potential to meet someone from another place, someone whom you did not know existed. Some people believe that you cannot build a meaningful relationship through virtual contact, and this may be true. However, I do thing that society has benefited from this sort of social interaction. Virtual communication is part of the foundation, the building blocks, to a meaningful relationship. Thousands of happy couples have met through the internet. It gives you the ability to connect with more people than you could meet in your lifetime.
I think that internet communication and social interaction has its time and place. I believe that nothing can replace face to face interaction, but we cannot always have this sort of communication. As a society, we need to put emphasize the importance of communication in real life but also utilize the benefits of virtual social interaction.
No comments:
Post a Comment